It was a sincere but brief farewell that outgoing President Bob Darr gave concluding his last Seven Lakes Landowners Association Open Meeting on Wednesday, February 27.
“It’s been a real ride with this group in front,” Darr said, referring to his fellow Directors. “What I have accomplished I did because of these gentleman sitting here at this table.”
Resident Bob Stephan did not let Darr fade quietly into the sunset, but stood up and said, “I think we owe a great deal of thanks to Bob Darr for a hell of a job that he has done — and to this board.”
Full Pond for Lakes Longleaf and Sequoia
Mother Nature is finally cooperating with ample rainfall and helping to refill Lake Echo. The SLLA Board discussed ways to take advantage of the steady rainfall and reduce the expense of pumping water from Lake Sequoia into Lake Echo.
Community Manager Ray Sohl proposed “as an alternate plan” the following: The first phase of pumping from Sequoia to Echo will begin the week of March 3 and last for seven days. After seven days, the Board will access the levels and decide then whether to continue pumping. If the rain continues and Lake Echo reaches a reasonable level, the pumping may then be discontinued, realizing a savings of about forty percent of the nearly $10,000 projected cost of the pumping project.
“I think it is important to get on with this as soon as possible,” Director Conrad Meter said. “Longleaf is above full pond and overflowing into Sequoia. Sequoia is over full-level by two inches. If we can immediately pump from Sequoia to Echo, we could take advantage of that water going over the dam.”
A resident in the audience brought to the Board attention smaller lakes Ramapo and Timber. “You are still not addressing the problem of the other two lakes that are also below level,” she said.
“If we were to raise Lake Echo ten inches and see what kind of rain we will get, we would then have the opportunity to attend Ramapo and Timber,” said Director Don Fentzlaff. “We haven’t forgotten you.”
Resident George Temple also urged the Board to begin pumping as soon as possible. “The important thing is to do it. Go ahead and approve the whole works. Look at the first stage and if we have to go forward then we can go forward.”
A motion was made by Racine to begin pumping and reassess after the first week. The Board would then decide whether to continue pumping. The total cost would not exceed $10,500.
[In fact, pumping from Lake Sequoia to Lake Echo began on Tuesday, March 5. — GH.]
In other lake level news, Director Fentzlaff told the Board: “I want to let everybody know that Little Juniper Lake is probably seeing a milestone here. For the first time in its history, it is less than 2 inches below full. When it is full, we will shut off that pump. It has done a yeoman’s job and didn’t break down once.”